Monday, November 10, 2008

Was I Stupid Or Just Lazy?

So I had a great weekend in Edmonton, thanks to Ryan and Gayleen. But the drive either way was... questionable.

On the way to Edmonton I ran into a little blizzard. No problem really. Unfortunately, the vehicle in front of me went off the road. I stopped to see if anyone was hurt, always a nurse, but no one made it. I admit I was a little upset, the driver and passenger were quite young.

On the way home I found the roads near North Battleford very icy. Now I'm a damn good driver, so either I was stupid or lazy, but for some reason I left my cruise control on. I hit a patch of ice and felt the engine rev, but was too late to turn it off. The back end of my vehicle started to spin. The ditches were dry and there were cars headed my way so I decided to slide into the ditch rather than risk rolling my top heavy vehicle or hitting an oncoming car. I turned into the spin and tapped the break to get the back end of the vehicle headed into the ditch. Then I waited until the front wheels left the highway and braked hard since I had more traction as was now headed straight backwards. A liberal application of 4 wheel drive and I was back on my way. The lesson here: Saskatchewan drivers should know better than to use cruise control on icy highways. I'll have to consider myself lazy. I knew better, I was just tired and wanted to get home. I am an arse.

No comments: